Studies for the weeks before Christmas
These four Bible study series are designed for group work. There is also a set of studies for individuals to do in-cell here.
- Advent leaders notes
- Please read this before using these studies for Advent
1. Bible studies for Advent
- Isaiah 9:1-7
- Examining some of Isaiah’s prophecies about Jesus and their fulfillment
- John 1:1-14
- Exploring Jesus, the light of the world
- Luke and Matthew
- The nativity from Mary’s point of view and then Joseph’s
2. The Promised Child
A study looking at OT prophecies about the birth of the Christ and how they were fulfilled in the birth of Jesus of Nazareth.
An activity for your group to do together which illustrates both the fulfillment of OT prophecy in the birth of Jesus and the continuity of the OT and NT. Print out the bible verses on red and green paper, cut them into strips of verses and make paper chains to decorate the chapel or cells!
3. Nativity 1 & 2
- Nativity 1
- A short Bible study and constructing a nativity scene
- (Using half of the Luke / Matthew study)
- Nativity 2
- A short Bible study to follow Nativity 1 and complete the nativity scene. (Using the other half of the Luke / Matthew study)
4. The Stations of Christmas
The idea of ‘The Stations of Christmas’ came from ‘The Stations of the Cross’ – pictures which depict various stages of the Passion.
Over 4 weeks, run the following Bible studies, which last about 45 minutes each, and then spend time with your group doing the artwork.
Week 1, The one who was prophesied + make pictures 1, 2 & 3 below
Week 2, Smelly shepherds + pictures 4, 5 & 6
Week 3, Eastern visitors + pictures 7 & 8
Week 4, The cross and the empty tomb + pictures 9 & 10
I’ve used the following stations of Christmas with my group to make individual pictures mounted on 30x25cm boards and displayed them around the chapel during Christmas. Each picture has a Bible verse printed underneath it. Some examples of pictures are shown below. You may find this link helpful for characters.
1. OT prophecy, Isaiah 9:6
- 2. The angel comes to Mary, Luke 1:26-27
- 3. The angel comes to Joseph, Matt 1:20-21
- 4. Joseph and Mary go to Bethlehem, Luke 2:4-5
- 5. The manger, Luke 2:6-7
6. The shepherds, Luke 2:20
- 7. The 3 kings, Matt 2:11
- 8. The escape to Egypt, Matt 2:13
- 9. The Cross, 1 Peter 3:18
- 10. The Empty Tomb, 1 Peter 1:3